Sun Zi (or Sun Wu), who was a great military strategist some 2,500 years ago in China, once said in his world famous book, The Art of War:
One army can not make its enemy vulnerable, but it can make itself invulnerable.
This may appear to someone confusing. What Sun Zi really said here is, an army's vulnerability is at its own hand and not others; you can do nothing to make your enemy weak and beatable.
Why? Because they are your enemies and they are same people as you and you have no such magic spell as to turn them into your prey.
So in order to achieve victory, you have to do every thing (combat training, weaponry, time and place to battle, terrain, etc.) to ensure your own invulnerability or invincibility.
In SEO, especially in Link Building, in a world 2,500 years after the great ancient Chinese strategist, the situation is pretty much the same. Quite weird, isn't it?
In SEO, you can not make Google, or Yahoo or Bing, to place your site at the top 10 of any SERP of any search query.
And in Link Building, you have no control over others as to make them link to you. Even if they agree to link to you, still you can not just tell them what Anchor Text should be used (exceptions: link buying and link bait, but that's not what I am talking about in this post).
What you can do here are:
Follow the SE guideline and known SEO best practices, use all kinds of SEO Tools to ensure that your site is optimized for both SE and internet users, so that the SEs may index you and gradually increase your rankings.
And create wonderful and appealing original contents to engage people to link to you.
In SEO, you should take Search Engines as your enemies. And to conquer your enemies, you must make yourself unbeatable.
To do that as a General of SEO:
- You will need to know what SEO is, so here are what you should read (SEO Basics):
- You will need to know what factors affect the outcome of the battle of SEO, so read (SEO Factors):
- You will need to choose your battlefield on which to fight your enemy, so you will need (Keyword Tools):
- You will need to improve your combat skill, so try these (More Tools):
- You will need military information, so send out your scout (Back Link and Competition Info):
- You will need staff officers to help you make right decisions, so go to (SEO Forums):
- You will need centurions, so follow these (SEO Bloggers):
- You will Definitely know more about who you are fighting with, so constantly go to (Official Google Blogs):
There are more you will need to make yourself invincible in SEO. So keep searching and researching and never stop.
Whenever you feel lost, and no other contemporary SEOs can aid you, buy a copy of The Art of War and seek consultancy from Sun Zi, the great mind from ancient China.